Monday, May 26, 2008

Book report - the Power of Nice


The Power of Nice by Linda Kaplan Thaler & Robin Koval

I think I learned about this book from Kurt's blog. “The Power of Nice” is a short book but I found myself highlighting many different parts of it and I had a hard time narrowing it down to my personal filter of only sharing two thoughts from a book. I was able to do that but would encourage anyone to read this book as there are much more in this book than I will put in this post.

My first thought was more of a reinforcement for me than a new idea. The staff here at NCBC is not only great to work with professionally but also awesome as brothers and sisters in Christ. If someone would happen to walk in on our staff meeting they would hear and see us enjoying each other’s company while getting things done (another great book). The authors of “The Power of Nice” point out that this closeness is a key sign for a good working company. They share a note from Daniel Goleman that points this out, “the most effective corporate humor comes not from canned jokes but from friendly banter and situational humor.” I’m so glad God put me where He did.

My second thought was the focus they had on being sensitive to others. They share time and time again that how we deal with others is extremely important. I’m naturally empathetic and based on this book that is a very good thing. “Empathy has been found to be the most important skill for success in life.” I believe that completely. They have a hole section of a chapter called, “Make Friends – before they become enemies” and that it’s more important to tell people what you’re for instead of what you are against. This sounds so much like Pastor Bob that I almost think they must of got it from him.

This is an excellent book and I’m glad that I read it. I think that anyone who wants or needs to be more sensitive to others and want to know how they can do that should read this book.

No comments:

Twitter Updates