Monday, November 02, 2009

Book Report - Desiring God by John Piper


I try to get a book recommendation each year from my good friend, brother in Christ, & mentor Mark Forstrom. This year he suggested “Desiring God” by John Piper – oh my! What a recommendation. Ever since I have had the privilege of being the middle school guy here at NCBC my spiritual life has be on a constant growth & I believe that I have matured in my faith more than I have ever in my life. Piper’s book has put me in my place of realizing that I’m really not that mature – at least not as mature as I thought I was.

I didn’t know how to put down my thoughts from the book so this time I’m going to put down a number of key thoughts that John Piper said in his book. The goal is for those thoughts are there for me to reflect, pray, and think on as my life continues:

“The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever.”

“I had never noticed that all enjoyment spontaneously overflows into praise…” quoted from C.S. Lews

“Praise is not an alternative to joy, but the expression of joy.”

“The aim of the Christian Hedonist is to be happy in God, to delight in God, to cherish and enjoy His fellowship and favor.”

“Because God is unique as an all-glorious, totally self-sufficient Being, He must be for Himself if He is to be for us.”

“The first thing we learn is that worship has to with real life.”

“The Word of God is not a trifle; it is a matter of life and death. If you treat the Scriptures as a trifle or as empty words, you forfeit life.”

“God is not looking for people to work for Him, so much as He is looking for people who will let Him work for them.”

“The great encouragement from John 10:16 is that the Lord Himself will do what is impossible for ‘poor and helpless worms’ like us.”

“This is God’s universal purpose for all Christian suffering: more contentment in God and less satisfaction in self and the world.”

“The deep things of life in God are discovered in suffering.”

“If we do not communicate that He is the goal and the ground of our joy in suffering, then the meaning of our suffering will be lost. The meaning is this: God is gain. God is gain. God is gain."

“The proper understanding of everything in life begins with God.”

No comments:

Twitter Updates