Friday, March 27, 2009

Mag report - YOUTHWORKERS Journal Mar/Apr 2009

I finished reading the Mar/Apr issue of YOUTHWORKER Journal as I was flying home from the PDYM conference. I enjoyed the read more this time than the last issue. Here are some of my thoughts:

What I liked: David Livermore's article, "From IQ to CQ" was excellent. The idea of getting to know "the Other" is so important to me because I don't do it. I was convicted of how I deal with the kids I'm not like and I really want to do something about it. I have a chance to do that this next week as we have 2 new boys who are quite different from the boys we have in our ministry. It will be quite a challenge and I'm looking forward to it.

???: The youth culture update had a section called - of Men and Mice. It really made no sense to me and I really don't see a purpose or point for it in youth ministry. I must be getting old.

Key statement: I love this statement, "There are multiple studies documenting the fact that the stress level of ministry is on the same level as neurosurgery." This was said by Dr Allen Jackson in the article "Caring Amidst Crisis." I would really like to see some of that research.

Something creative: Dale Tadlock had a great article called "Blessed are they who Mourn" that really shared some creative way of setting up a funeral service that kids will be a part of that is kid friendly and helpful for the mourning process of kids.

No comments:

Twitter Updates