Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Truth - part 1


Each year New Covenant tries spotlight each of the ministries in it. The Middle School spotlight is coming up April 20 & 27 (we have two campuses and so we will be at each one of them). I get the chance to preach in "big church" for this spotlight. A lot of different thoughts have been coming towards me and I wanted to put some of my thoughts and places I've been going to out there for my few readers to see and get thoughts from them and prayer support.

The title of this post "Truth - part 1" is where I hope to go on this message. Where it started was when I was looking over our current 8th grader’s verse. They choices Phil 4:8 mostly because it has the words "Whatever is..." in it and it made a nice catchy phrase for them to put on t-shirts. I supported because it came from the kids. I digress.

I read this verse in 12 different translations, I read the verse many times, and out of all the whatevers came the word truth. So I went looking for that word in the NIV translation and found a bunch of truth statements. One of the key ones that Jesus said 83 times is, "I tell you the truth..." This really stands out to me. I also noticed a number of verses that says this:
- "I am the way, the truth, and the life" Jn 14:6
- "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth." Jn 17:17
- "He who speaks on his own does so to gain honor for himself, but he who works for the honor of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him." Jn 7:18

And the list goes on and on. What I wish is for people to walk out of the sanctuary is with an understanding of what the Word says truth is and not something that Mark Eades says.

Some other resources I've been using are:
- Josh McDowell's old book "Right from Wrong"
- some http://www.sermonspice.com/ video's on the prodigal son
- an article from the recent "Plugged In" magazine that has the title, "The moment of Truth"
- Group put together a huge resource called IT and I'm looking at some of their ideas.
- I've been looking at "The Truth Project" that looks great and I would love to spend a lot more time in it.
- I'm looking at some stuff from George Pennington
- and I’ll probably get in trouble for this but I’m also look at - emergentvillage.com in particular some articles from Steve Sherwood & Dr. Marty Folsom.
- An article called "Learning to Lie" from the New York mag

One of my biggest fears is this - "Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them." Acts 20:30. Lord, my I not distort Your truth while I pursue a way to communicate what Your truth is.

No comments:

Twitter Updates