Monday, October 22, 2007

Book Report – Getting Things Done


It’s done finally. I’ve had this book in my office for almost a year. Started reading it, stopped to read others, started to read it again, stopped because I wanted to read it with my wife, and finally (with Lisa) finished it. Thou very easy to read this is a hard book and for me it is really a reference book more than a onetime read book. I will put a couple thoughts about this book here in my blog (my book report guideline is to only put two or three thoughts on my blog) but then I hope to slowly pull other ideas and keep changing the way I’m “Getting Things Done.”

The first take away is the “two-minute rule.” “If the next action can be done in two minutes or less, do it when you first pick the item up.” This is what David Allen (author of “Getting Things Done”) says is one of three ways to deal with your stuff. The other two ways is to delegate it or to defer it. I’ve done this somewhat with my emails for some time now but not as aggressively as Mr. Allen has encouraged readers to be. I’m looking forward to the chance to get through paper work on my desk, storage in my closets, and just stuff in my office and home using this rule.

The second take away is his diagram found on page 120 of his book or you can down load a pdf of it here. This diagram gives a simple but clear flow of how to use his system to get things done. I’ve had a copy of this flow diagram on my stick pin wall for some time and now I'm able to see more ways to use it.

This is a must read book for anyone who doesn’t like having stuff piled up everywhere and can’t figure out where the stuff one needs is at.

No comments:

Twitter Updates