Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Great way to do a devotional

Hey read this. I got it from a devotional web site I go to. It is powerful: http://www.rbc.org/ourjourney/today.php

eat it up! 15 O Lord, you know; remember me and visit me, and take vengeance for me on my persecutors. In your forbearance take me not away; know that for your sake I bear reproach. 16 Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O Lord, God of hosts. 17 I did not sit in the company of revelers, nor did I rejoice; I sat alone, because your hand was upon me, for you had filled me with indignation. 18 Why is my pain unceasing, my wound incurable, refusing to be healed? Will you be to me like a deceitful brook, like waters that fail? Jeremiah 15:15-18
When I was growing up, I loved to watch game shows. My favorite was the one where the winner went on a one-minute shopping spree in a grocery store and filled as many carts as possible with food.
Since then, I’ve learned this truth: What food is to our bodies, Scripture is to our souls. If we understood what the Bible is and what it does for us, we would be just as fired up as a game show contestant with the grocery cart in front of her—waiting excitedly for the bell to sound. One of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 15:16, says it best: “Your words were found and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart.”
So, how can you feed your soul on God’s Word? Here are three ways:
READ IT: As for where to start, go to the gospel of John. Read it slowly. Every time you see the word believe, underline it and ask yourself: Believe what? Be interactive with every book you read. And don’t read it casually like a magazine or a novel. Give God’s Word the respect it deserves.
QUESTION IT: Here are some prompts I use. (You might already have your own.) What verses stand out to me? Why? Is there an example for me to follow? Is there an error for me to avoid? Is there a duty for me to perform? Is there any promise for me to claim? Is there a sin for me to confess?
PLAN IT: Keep your commitment to God’s Word going by planning how to apply what you’re learning. Take notes. When the Spirit convicts you of a sin, confess it and forsake it. Then develop a plan to avoid falling into that temptation the next time it shows up. The results will amaze you.
So, picture this—your shopping cart is empty, you’re at the line, the starting bell is about to ring. Ready? All the joy and delight found in filling your life with God’s Word is waiting for you. Set? Go! —James MacDonald walkintheword.com
seeking: Father, how has my mindset about your Word just been altered? How is my passion to know you being challenged?
responding: What needs to change in my life to make reading and studying God’s Word a priority? • What’s my plan? • What books of the Bible will I read first? • What verses have I recently read that I can pray back to God?
I want to have your view of your Word, Lord. If I understand that, I will apply it in a way that pleases you. You have provided in its pages all that is sufficient for godly living. Help me, Lord, to meet you there every day.
following: Hungry? Satisfy yourself with God’s Word.

No comments:

Twitter Updates